Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Holey Trinity - Did Jesus Make Himself Equal to God? John 5:18

"For this cause therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only brake the sabbath, but also called God his own Father, making himself equal with God." - John 5:18 (ASV)

This verse is probably one of the easiest ones to read the Trinity into, which is the only way to establish it's teaching within the Bible. According to Trinitarian interpretation, Jesus was "making himself equal to God". So we will be dealing with at least one of the arch-enemies of the Trinity here; context.

The apostate Jews were making these accusations of Jesus. Which is ironic because Trinitarians have taken over this role of apostate Jews by claiming Jesus made himself equal to God! In fact, Jesus had neither claimed to be God, nor did he break the Sabbath. As ridiculous as it that Jesus, the Son of God, would break the Sabbath in which his Father Jehovah, whom he is loyal to until death, had implemented; it is as equally ridiculous (despite Trinitarian efforts) for Jesus to claim he was God!

[The more I type this stuff out the more I struggle with the idea that Jesus is God the Son and IS God. And God the Father is God. Yet Jesus is not the same as the Father, but they are both the SAME God. The logic of it is constantly a struggle for me. Sometimes I feel insulted because I can't understand it. Then I stop to think, its not logical, it doesn't make any sort of sense. How COULD I understand it? How could anyone understand it? But we aren't suppose to, its a "mystery"!]

It is important at this point to note that the Trinity teaches that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are "co-equal "and "co-eternal". Which, by definition, means that not one of these 3 has ever had or will ever have more power or authority over the other. They are equally Almighty, not one more than the other. Now, to use this verse Trinitarians ignore Jesus's undeniable and explicitly clear rejection of any equality with God!


"Therefore, in response Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, the Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son does also in like manner." - John 5:19 (NWT)

This statement shows without a doubt that Jesus cannot be the Almighty God! He tells he can only do what is directed to him by his Father. He reiterates this fact to stress this clear lack of equality several times (John 5:30, 8:28, 12:49). Jesus goes on to say:

"For the Father loveth the Son, and showeth him all things that himself doeth: and greater works than these will he show him, that ye may marvel." - John 5:20 (ASV)

Jesus had to be taught by his Father to do "greater works". Who could have "greater works" than the Almighty God that Jesus supposedly claimed to be?

"For neither doth the Father judge any man, but he hath given all judgment unto the Son" - John 5:22 (ASV)

"And he has given him authority to do judging, because he is the Son of man." - John 5:27 (NWT)

The Son had to be given authority! Once again a contradiction to explicit Trinitarian doctrine. Jesus being equal to the Father and equally God would not have to be given authority.

"For as the Father hath life in himself, even so gave he to the Son also to have life in himself" - John 5:26 (ASV)

The Son did not naturally, inherently possess "life in himself". It had to be given to him by someone who had the power to give it to him. Only one person had that power, and obviously it was not the Son.

"I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is righteous; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." - John 5:30 (ASV)

Still Jesus is denying his equality with his Father. If he was equal with his Father and was God, why would the will he be seeking not his own?

"31 "If I alone bear witness about myself, my witness is not true.32 There is another who bears witness about me, and I know that the witness he bears about me is true."" - John 5:31,32 (NWT)

If Jesus was the Almighty God, why would his witness not be true?

"Now it is true that Jesus himself does not make this express claim. Indeed he seems to emphasize the contrary: [The father is greater than I] (14:28). He answers the accusation of the Jews along similar lines in 5:19. It sounds as if he is repudiating, or at least modifying, the hISO." - Kittles Theological Dictionary of the NT

This poses the question: If Jesus WAS equating himself with God, why would he spend the next 13 verses (in the Bible) explaining his INequality to God? Throughout his time on earth Jesus made it crystal clear that he was not, in any way, equal to his Father.


"Most truly I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him." - John 13:16 (NWT)

"Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me."" - John 8:42 (NWT)

So a Trinitarian must understand this verse as Jesus saying "for I, God, came from God" because their claim is Jesus is God. From context, however, that is not how Jesus intended this verse to be interpreted. But why let Jesus's words stop them from believing what they want, right?

"Jesus answered: “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, the one who you say is your God." - John 8:54 (NWT)

Again, Jesus elevating his Father above himself. Would an Almighty God claim that "his glory is nothing"?

The instances in which Jesus explains his inequality and submission to his Father and God, as you have read, are numerous. There are even more should you wish to explore them on your own: John 4:22, 4:23, 20:17, 12:49, 14:31, 15:10, 10:18, 8:50; Hebrews 5:7-10.

What else would Jesus need to say to get through to these people that he was not equal with God According to his words, Jesus was relentlessly explaining to the apostate Jews there was no equality there. It was a constant and reoccurring theme throughout his time on this earth. He refuted and denied the accusation of him equating himself with God, but the Jews were bullheaded and unshakable in what they believed.

The apostates continued to ignore Jesus' words and continued to believe what they wanted to believe. The very words of Jesus himself could not change their mind. They were determined to believe that Jesus was equating himself to his Father the Almighty God. From where I am sitting, Trinitarians have taken over this role extremely well.

1 comment:

Is there a specific scripture in the Bible that you are confused about? That you think proves the trinity to be true and would like it clarified? Any questions about the trinity at all, let me know. I would be more than willing to provide the information for you, or the place where you find the information.